Native American Culture/Unique Native American Teepee

Question
Indian Sunset
Indian Sunset  
I have an original painting called "Indian Sunset". The teepees are unique. I would like to know what Native American's constructed this kind of teepee.

Answer
This painting seems to depict an artist's conception of making a camp somewhere along the Great Lakes. It is a combination of different traditions, however as the cultures that utilized the raised bow, birch bark covered canoes, did not build tipi lodges, but lived in long houses and earth lodges. The multi-pole, circular tipi was a Plains horse culture lodge, designed for a people who moved regularly to follow game, such as the Lakota and the Cheyenne, but they were not found near lakes of size as shown in the painting. A romantic notion, but not based upon fact. Also, the skins that are being set up seemed to be large, square, trimmed uniform pieces, which is also fanciful. Hope this helps

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton