Native American Culture/art question

Question
what am i?
what am i?  
I've been finding pieces like this all over my are (northern Illinois) and was just wondering what exactly they are. Thank you

Answer
These are small, detail portions of larger sand paintings, created by Navajo artists -- often healers in training -- for sale. They use finely ground sand and pollen pigments to illustrate images containing mythic figures from the stories of the Creation and others in the Navajo religion. They are usually intentionally altered so as not to depict any of the "Holy People" or power symbols accurately when used for sale.

Sandpainting is an integral part of Navajo spiritual and physical healing practice. It has been used for thousands of years and is still central to elaborate ceremonies that require many days to conduct properly. A healer draws a very large specific image on the ground using the natural colored pigments, completely from memory. It is meticulous, composed of very fine lines that are created strictly using the hands. No reference images are allowed to be present, and often a ceremony will require more than one large -- five to eight foot image, upon which the patient is placed during the ceremony. At the conclusion of each section, the painting is destroyed and gathered often tossed into the wind in specific directions. The images serve to focus the power of healing summoned by the ceremony, to the patient. The images must be learned through practice under the eye of a mentor healer, so young healers in training often make these small image sections to strengthen their memory and their skill. They will practice until they can produce the exact, perfectly rendered images. Most concentrate on one or two ceremonies. These practice images grew from the appreciation of non-Navajo people for the artistic quality of this very sacred art form. The sale of "fixed" versions on board is a relatively new art medium, having been first done in the 1970s in the area near the Shiprock Chapter on the reservation in New Mexico. Now they are done in many communities by many artists and sometimes referred to as "sand art".

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton