Native American Culture/Hand made 1912 Native american canoe Hagerstown MD

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I found a very small canoe that could be a toy. It came with a letter that says that the canoe was purchased in 1912 or 1913 in Hagerstown MD. I was hoping to see if you could help me figure out what it's made of and if it is authentic.

Thank you,
Adrian

ANSWER: I'll need clear, in-focus images, however the style of manufacture alone is not, by itself an indication that it was made by an American Indian craftsman. Many of the items sold at roadside Trading Posts are actually mass-produced. This has been the case since the 1950s. I'll see if your images make their manufacture more obvious.

Cloth with canoe
Cloth with canoe  

canoe 1
canoe 1  
QUESTION: Sorry for my delay in responding. I have a few pictures for you to look at. The letter with the canoe and a box that was also with the canoe are dated 1912-1913. hopefully this is an authentic piece.
I have many more pics. I can only upload 2. Let me know how I can send you the rest.

Answer
Well, it seems to be made of some kind of bark -- probably a birch variety, sewn with some form of probably nylon thread, but I don't believe there is any way of determining if it was made by a Native crafts person. I recommend you contact a well-established dealer in American Indian arts in the Hagerstown area for their opinion, as it may well be a very specific local craft. Sorry I can't give you more information.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton