Native American Culture/Indian Removal Act

I'm doing a school project on the Indian Removal Act of 1830. I was wondering if you had knowledge about how the Native American's transition from their homelands (in the Southeast U.S.) to their reservations (in Oklahoma) changed their culture and way of life. If you have knowledge on this topic I would please ask for you to answer my questions about this topic through email. Thank you for your consideration.

There has been a great deal written upon the nature of the removal and the Trail of Tears. Our trading business took us through both the Southeast and Oklahoma regularly for many years. To say the two places are different is a huge understatement. The government took several interconnected woodlands cultures to the Plains, where they were expected to adopt the completely foreign traditions of dry land farming. The woods and streams and rivers their people knew so well were lost to them, except for the remnant populations that remained behind in parts of North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. It was an extraordinarily cruel policy which got worse after the Civil War when the Indian Schools were set up in several locations such as Carlisle, PA. It hadn't been sufficient to take these peoples' homelands. The government now took their children away from their parents to boarding schools and tried to destroy their language and cultures. It is one of the sorriest blemishes on the American Government's history. Fortunately, by the 1960s, clearer thinking prevailed and the schools were closed. Today, the cultures you mentioned have prevailed and adapted. Language and religious traditions endure. The people were resourceful and adept accommodating even these terrible changes and their societies have learned to thrive within the larger context of modern American life.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.