Native American Culture/Karankawa/ General Questions

Question
Did the Karankawa Indians fight on the side of Texas or Mexico, I have tried to research on my own, but have been given conflicting answers. Also, is there any books you would recommend that go over most of the History of the North American tribes, especially referring to wars?

Thank you.

Answer
Since most of the tribal people except the Comanche, were gone from Tejas by the time the non-Spanish settlers moved in, it's hard to get any reliable information. From what I've gathered over the years, the Karankawa were feared by most of the coastal people and fought against the Spanish when the Conquistadors came in the early 1500s. By the end of the 1600s, they had either been killed off or had relocated to the East, entering the bayou country. They must have been assimilated by other tribal groups, but the bloodlines remained in spotty sections of the Tejas Hill Country. The only book I recommend that deals with the prolonged conflicts is Bury my Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Wallace. It's the stand-out of the books told from the Indian's perspective. Good luck with your research.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton