Native American Culture/Vision

When I was just 7, I was very sick, with a very high fever and close to death.  While I was in the height of the fever, I opened my eyes and looked to my left.  There, close by my bedside, were two young Native American men with thick braids, their faces wearing a design in white paint. They were dressed in white buckskin. They looked down at me gently and I was not afraid of them.  I slipped back into unconsciousness.  When the fever broke and I was fully awake, they were gone.  I have thought about then throughout my life and I believe that I will see them fully again when I am ready to pass.  May I have your thoughts about this vision?

Judi -- all I can do is to give you my impressions and make some suggestions. You didn't mention your ethnic background. Unless you were actually raised within a Native tradition, there would probably not be any deeply seated source for your vision. As a seven year old, you were highly receptive (as we all a re at that age) to suggestion and your subconscious mind may have retained images and impressions of young Native men with braids from all kinds of sources including movies, magazines or even stories you were told in school. Your impression of them as supportive and kind is a good indication you were looking for some help in your physical condition. The white buckskin is unusual in that bleached buckskin is not worn much except by Apache girls getting married in traditional ceremonies. Of course, I don't adhere to "New Age" adoption of Native symbols and spirituality; as divorced from its culture and language, it has little power.  I do recognize a young child afraid of extreme illness and needing some allies. Your heart reached out, and your mind filled in with what was needed. You survived, and who is to say it wasn't because of the vision and its healing effects on you? You might want to investigate whether you went to any movies before you were sick, etc., if you need more clarity as to where these young Indian men came from. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.