Native American Culture/Two more bracelets

older turquoise cuff bracelet
older turquoise cuff b  

newer turquoise cuff bracelet
newer turquoise cuff b  
Hi Mr. Sutton,

Yes, it's me again, with two more bracelets that have me stumped.  The first is confusing as to age and turquoise, I think it's rather old, though I'm not sure just how old, and the turquoise is pretty, but odd, as I can't find a match online.

The second is newer, I think probably 1970s, but the stones have me stumped.  I was thinking possibly Bisbee, but they have a depth that's unusual, even for that gorgeous stone, so I'm confused; also, the second cuff has a green stone as well as the two gorgeous blue ones, not sure if all three stones are the same kind.  Interestingly enough, the second bracelet is signed TM, in the same fashion as the Damale cuff I asked about, so possibly Tom Morgan again.

Thanks again for all your help, you are invaluable and certainly the most expert expert when it comes to turquoise of anyone I've ever known.

Best wishes,

First piece, possibly 1950s or even a bit earlier, It shows a bit of wear/color change so I'd think the stone might have been Pilot or Royston turquoise it has the look of some of the Tonopah, Nevada area stones. The second, 1960s-1970s, is probably either Morenci or Hachita. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.