Native American Culture/Identification of Artist

Question
Kachina.1
Kachina.1  

Kachina.2
Kachina.2  
Mr. Sutton,

I have a beautiful Sundancer Kachina bolo tie that I purchased from a dealer in Sierra Vista, AZ, over 20 years ago and I am attempting to identify the artist. I was told at the time of the purchase that the artist was the son-in-law of former Arizona Governor Evan Meacham, but I can't remember his name. As you'll see from the picture of the back of the piece, his mark consists of a broken arrow suspended over two mountains (four lines forming two peaks, the text "MADE IN AMERICA Sterling" with each word stacked above the other, and a broken arrow at the bottom. I would be very appreciative if you could help me identify the artist.

Many thanks,

Randy Weaver

Answer
I'm stumped, Randy. I've seen similar work over the years from a couple of Navajo families (especially the Long family and Morgans) and a Taos silversmith, but none of them match the hallmarks. The Sun Kachina (Sun Dance is a Northern Plains tradition and not correctly ascribed to this piece, despite the trader-title) figure in your tie is probably Navajo made, if it is indeed American Indian made. The level of detail in the overlay of the mask shows a stippled rather than a chisel-marked background which is more typical of Navajo overlay. Hopi overlay is usually a bit sharper and uses directionally chiseled background texturing. Given Evan Meacham's Mormon background and very conservative, almost racist views, I would be very surprised if a Native man married into his family, so the piece may have been made by a non-Indian silversmith. I searched through many volumes of hallmark reference as well as my own hand notes, but did not find anything close enough to consider a variation or family subset. It's a beautifully crafted piece, no matter who made it. I'm sorry I couldn't find out more for you.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton