Native American Culture/Another turquoise question

big turquoise cuff and ring set
big turquoise cuff and  

Big turquoise cuff and ring set back view
Big turquoise cuff and  
Hi again Mr. Sutton,

I know I said I wouldn't bother you again and I wouldn't, except I recently purchased the most gorgeous cuff bracelet I've ever seen (etched TM on the back side of the cuff and also on the matching ring) and I just had to ask what you think of the stone.  It kind of looks like Damale turquoise to me, but I honestly don't know what it is for sure, and I was hoping you might be able to identify the stone.

I'm also wondering about the maker.  I was thinking these pieces looked like Terry Martinez's work, but the items I've seen online are usually stamped TM and not etched, so that makes me wonder if they were made by Mr. Martinez or possibly someone else with the same initials.  

Thanks again and best wishes,

Great work, early 1970s style, but probably Tom Morgan's work. His later pieces show him stacking the initials up, but I can't find another example of the way these initials are rendered with serifs, except Mary Morgan, who also makes a very similar "M". In addition, that is the biggest, best example of Demale I've ever seen. There is one more Nevada mine with a similar color range, the Carico Lake mine, but the Matrix in Demale is so distinctive, I'm sure of the origin of this one. Another great green stone that was available for a few years was from Colorado, called the King's Manassah  or Lick Skillet find. The vein held out, with a deeper, grass green stone with the gold colored matrix, into the early nineties, but is now mined out. Hope this helps.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.