Native American Culture/Symbolism Wool Rug

Good Day Mr. Sutton.
I have a wool rug which I purchased about 8-9 months ago and have not been able to find out any information on it. The lady who I purchased it from was unable to tell me much about it, only that her and her late husband purchased in San Francisco about 20 years ago.
I was hoping you could give me some good news on what I have, American Indian made or somewhere else ?

Regards, William Davis

William --- I can't tell definitively from your images. While it has several characteristics of Navajo weaving despite it not being within the range of a standard pictorial/floral pattern, it is missing the so-called "lazy lines" in the texture of the background. Lazy lines are a remnant of the techniques of leaving sections of the rug to return later. The weaver will set up a diagonal section that can be tied into later. When complete, there will be diagonal "runs" in the texture of the background that are visible, yet don;t affect the overall design. Also the finish of the edges is unusual for a floral pattern as there is a complete border around the rug, with no memory paths, or broken pathways in a contrasting color to break the completeness of the border. From the style and the colors, I would say this is an Indian (Hindu) Dhurrie tribal rug. If you find lazy lines in the background, send me a good clear image as a follow up.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.