Native American Culture/Bisbee or Ithaca peak? Navajo or Cherokee?

I bought this impressive bracelet with no knowledge about its history... The seller told me the collector who sold her this said its bisbee, but there have Pyrex matrix on it and no dark reddish matrix. The maker is lee Prince from Cherokee, very limited information about him but I find his work in Hopi and Zuni style as well... Can you please help me find out more about the stone/style and the maker,making date? Thank you very much!

The stone is very good Bisbee turquoise, with the dark and pyrite matrix expected. That kind of quality would back date the stone to the 1970s or earlier. As far as Lee Prince, I've never seen the hallmark before, nor have I heard of him among Navajo silver smiths. The name Prince doesn't ring a bell either. The work is very distinctive and would be unusual for a Navajo smith, so despite his working in Southwestern "motifs" if he's from NC, he probably is Cherokee. Hope this helps. It's a very nice cuff.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.