Native American Culture/Cultural/ historical advisor for a film script

Question
Hello,

I am currently writing a film script base on Jack London's short story To Build A Fire and I would like to add a native Indian element.

Being from London, UK I am not very aware of native Indian culture, myths and belief as I would like to be to really make the native Indian elements of the script ring true and valuable.

I am looking for someone that can advice me in the short term on general Indian culture, perhaps recommend some literature that will help me to gain a better understanding of native Indian culture and give opinion on genuineness of script ideas.

Obviously this will be based in the Yukon region of the late 19th century during the gold rush so a broad knowledge of Indian culture and nations from that area of America would be most helpful.

If this goes to production then there would be a paid position open during the shoot for an expert/advisor.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Barry Wallis

Answer
Barry,
My area of expertise is really the Southwestern Nations, but having lived in the Northwest as a child, I was very interested in the very complex, sea-going culture of the Northwest Coast tribes, the Salish, Bella-Coola, Gwaguiulth (Kwakiutl)and Haida as well as their accomplished graphic arts and wood working and long-term trading with the Russian Empire. For Alaska, you add in the diverse Bering peoples as well as the mainland Athapascans. It is an entire world of its own with completely different influences than the mainland cultures in the "Lower 48" I don;t know how you might plan to integrate these cultures into your script, but there is a little known bit of history when a US Navy Cutter shelled and destroyed a Native Alaskan village in October of 1882 because of the natives interference with trade. The village was named Angoon. Here is a fairly detailed link for more information. This might be an interesting side-story to work in.

http://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alph

I would recommend you contact members of the anthropology Department, College of Arts & Sciences,  University of Alaska Anchorage. For a detailed bibliography and research lists.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton