Native American Culture/Native American Treaty - NY

Question
QUESTION: Hi Richard,

I was hoping you knew of any Native American tribes in the state of New York who had not signed a treaty with the US Government?

Please let me know if any come to mind.

Thank you,
Chelsea

ANSWER: Chelsea, to the best of my memory, the Six Iroquois Nations upstate, never signed a treaty with the new US Government. They are recognized by New York State, and their land holdings are vested through the English Crown before that, and much earlier, of course. Recently -- int he past century -- tribal groups from downstate on LI and along the Eastern bank of the Hudson, have gained federal recognition, but that did not entail signing a treaty. Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Hi Richard,

Thank you for responding so quickly! I would love to ask you a few more questions regarding this. Do you have a phone number or email address that is easy to reach you?

Thank you,
Chelsea

ANSWER: Thanks, but I'm happy to answer follow-up questions here on All-Experts.

QUESTION: Ok, no problem!

I was wondering if you had heard about a tribe in NY State being forced off of their land due to not signing a treaty previously with the US Government? Or if because they only had "federal recognition" and did not sign a treaty, if they could be forced off of their land?

Thanks,
Chelsea

Answer
Chelsea, I'm not aware of any NY tribal group being "forced" off their land. As all Native people born here are also US Citizens, unless eminent domain is being exercised by a municipality, land ownership is protected by law. Even if that is the case, it can be fought in the courts, so I don't think the issue you heard about is being communicated properly or completely. If you get more info, let me know. I'm curious as to what you might have heard.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton