Native American Culture/Cuff Bracelet I.D. More Photos

Bracelet Hallmark
Bracelet Hallmark  
Here are some more photos.

Thanks, Thomas. While we have owned cuff in the same style as yours that were Navajo made, there are literally tens of thousands of Navajo silversmiths, so the hallmark alone is not enough to effectively identify this cuff. Among Navajo families, the Dodge family has used vertical stamped hallmarks (usually five or six, not three) and has worked in simple, tooled designs, but any silversmith can make a triangular wire cuff, although the weight would set it back to the 1980s most recently, possibly earlier.

The one thing that would make me consider it not Navajo made at all is the use of the STER. stamp for metal grade. I've never seen that stamp used in Southwestern Indian silverwork. They use either STERLING or .925 now and used IHMSS for a period beginning in the late 1960s. This may be the work of a non-Indian silversmith. I will also tell you that while the triangle wire cuff was a very popular style for a time, they are very hard to find in anything close to that weight right now. I'd say it's a keeper!  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton

As a direct reservation trader in all aspects of American Indian arts since 1985, I've answered questions regarding cultural property issues, origins of traditional crafts, materials and techniques, collecting, authenticity, symbols and, of course, repairs! We have operated a retail gallery since that time, bricks and mortar until 2007 and online since 1996. Our online operation closed in 2/2015, to allow me to finally write full-time. My writing site can be found at I'll be adding a book or two from our trader experiences under the pen name of W.T. Durand and the rest of my fiction is under my own name. We are not "New Age" practitioners of adopted American Indian religious ceremonies or combined philosophies. If you are seeking such knowledge for spiritual reasons, we will only provide answers that address factual information on these subjects. Unless one is raised in a traditional, American Indian family with language, culture and religious belief intact, we don't believe that simply applying the trappings or cultural property of a given traditional group will give a non-Indian (Native if you prefer)any insight other than the academic.

My primary focus is on Southwester American Indian Nations and their people, but I also have experience in Plains and Northeastern traditions, having engaged in active trade and retail since 1985 and study for most of my life. I am not claiming any expertise at all in the work, techniques, lifeways or crafts that are made by the Native People of Mexico. They are not the same, either linguistically or culturally but certainly their crafts deserve discussion and appraisal by those who are able to provide real information.

I was a guest on Fox Network "Lifestyles" program, during the 1990s, to discuss how to tell forgeries, and authenticating jewelry as Native American work. I have also written extensively for our website, and our Ebay Store.

UofO, 1970 active in the Authentic American Indian Arts business and direct Trader since 1985. Graphic Designer and published novelist.