Native American Culture/Found Dead Red Tail Hawk

Question
Hello, I recently found a dead juvenile Red Tail Hawk along the road. I believe there are restrictions about having such animals, feathers, etc. but it did not feel right to me to just leave it there to decay along the highway. I picked it up and brought it home. Would like to bury it. I have been seeing them on a regular basis for 2 years now. Is this a bad "omen" to find a dead one? Also would like to keep some feathers and maybe talon, however I do not want to mutilate it or disrespect the animal for my desires. Any Suggestions?

Answer
Jane, hawks are a common enough road-kill (especially on blind hillcrests and turns) and being someone who really loves and respects them I appreciate your wanting to give it a nice burial. Eagles are so protected that eagle road kills are actually serial numbered and kept by the Forest Service for distribution by lottery to Native Traditional uses. Hawks, not so much, but it is my understanding that it remains illegal to kill any raptors without a special permit. An example would be a farmer protecting his ducks, etc.

I don't think, if you are respectful, that the dead hawk would mind giving you some of its feathers or a talon, just be advised that if you make something from these items, you will not legally be able to sell it as there are laws against trafficking in raptor parts. Hope this helps.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton