Native American Culture/Native American Info

Hi I am a High School student and I was wondering if you could help me with my project by answering these questions. My questions are what type of a relationship do Native Americans have with other Americans and What are the major problems Native Americans face today in society. Thanks.

Dear  Dyllon Pattillo

Thank you for your questions.  Your project is a very big one.  Entire books have been published on the topics you are researching. Let me try to help you as much I can.

There are many different American Indian tribes across the USA.   Out here in New England where I live we were "conquered" and "civilized" much earlier that the tribes further West.  So problems with other Americans will be different for us than other tribes in other parts of Turtle Island.

I searched the WWW. I think  the following link such help you out a great deal.  It is a good summary I believe.  Try to  get as much information as you can from it. They give other references for you to search also.

Good fortune in your project.  I hope you get a good grade.

Dr/ Frank Waabu
Aquidneck Indian Council
Newport RI

Native American Culture

Dr. Frank Waabu O'Brien

Specialize in the extinct languages of Massachusett and Narragansett. Can answer general questions in most other areas, except genealogy-specific, pertaining to Indians of Southern New England (RI, MA, CT).

Past President, Aquidneck Indian Council. Have been researching & writing on subject since 1994. Two most recent books, A Cultural History of the Native Peoples of Southern New England (2007) & Understanding Indian Place Names in Southern New England (2010); See my current website

Abenaki Tribe, RI Indian Council, National Mus of the American Indian, The American Name Society, John Carter Brown Library (Brown University), Rhode Island Historical Society, Sigma Xi, International Order of Merit, Society of American Indian Government Employees (SAIGE)

"A Cultural History of the Native Peoples of Southern New England" (on Amazon); Recent book is "Understanding Indian Place Names in Southern New England"(on Amazon); see my website for free books at:

BA, RI College; MA, MPhil,PhD, Columbia

Who's Who in Sci & Engineering, International Order of Merit, Dictionary of International Biography, Asian/American Who's Who; 2010 DoD Meritorious Service Award (Society of American Indian Government Employees, SAIGE)