Native American Culture/Plains indian antler handle knife.

Question
plain\'s indian knife
plain's indian knife  

plains indian knife
plains indian knife  
Hello Sir, I was kinda hoping you might tell me what I bought at a garage sale for $10.00. It says its a antler handled plains Indian knife. Its in a glass case and I don't want to take it out to exam it but it looks old. The shear size of the knife tells me its not authentic but it looks so real.? The knife itself is like 24" long and too big to carry on the warrior's side. I did ask the lady running the charity garage sale and all she could tell me was it was donated by a judge. Any information you can give me on it would really be appreciated. Thanks Jen

Answer
It is a very interesting piece, but I'm not sure it is that old. To my reye, the feathers appear to be banded turkey feathers which are by law (since 1999 50 CFR 22 Fish and Wildlife) among the feathers allowed for use in creating a trade item that simulates raptor feathers which are protected except in religious ceremony uses which require a Federal Permit. If this item had been made for ceremony then it would carry the correct feathers, not turkey feathers, but if it had owl or raptor feathers originally, it would not have been legal to sell, by virtue of the same statute. So, despite the use of a deer shin for a handle and a well-knapped flint blade, there is no real evidence that this is Native made, rather it might have been made by an accomplished hobbyist and unless the feathers were switched out, it was probably made for trade or as dance regalia at some time since 1999. Still, a very good use of $10, in any case.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton