Native American Culture/Axe or Native American related object?

Question
Axe or something
Axe or something  
I was walking through the the shallow rivers of Tennessee just this past weekend and came across this and thought it looked odd because of the shape and the mark on the one end of it.

Answer
Neat find. It most closely resembles a pestle, to be used with a mortar to grind grain, or color sources to make paint. The perfectly cylindrical shape seems to me to be more closely connected with early European settlers and the kinds of bowl-shaped mortars and pestles they brought with them, than a Native item, but it certainly might be. For the most detailed information, you should contact the Anthropology or Local studies depts in the Tennessee University system. Good luck in your search.

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton