Native American Culture/See image

Question
Carved necklace
Carved necklace  
My mother found this on the beach in virginia around the Potomac River. Can u tell me anything about this!

Answer
Not sure, but a wonderful find. The depth and regularity of the trim "hole" design baffles me as it doesn;t look like the kind of holes made by a bone or flint awl, but rather something made with steel tools. The design is also intriguing. The stone must be quite soft, some kind of shale? I'd take it to your local university anthropology dept. to have it checked out. Appears more to be a talisman of some kind, with ceremonial or magical uses. Keep us in the loop.  

Native American Culture

Richard Sutton