Native Plants/Maximum Life Span of Trees and Plants,

Dear Susan

Similar to study of animals maximum life span in zoology, can
botanists trace maximum life span of trees ?

For example :

Human Being - 130 years.
Cat - 20 years.
Dog - 25 years.
Tortoise - 150 years

Is it possible to trace and define Maximum Life Span of Trees
and Plants ?

Tree examples : Coconut, Banyan, Peepal etc
Plant Examples : Ferns, Vines, Alga etc

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,

Thank you for your question.  It is possible to estimate the maximum life span of trees and plants.  I will include links to some lists of the life span of common trees below.  The cedars of Lebanon in Becharri, are the oldest trees known - they are between 1,000 and 2,000 years old.  Some trees regularly live to be hundreds of years of age, others have short lifespans of only 10 or 15 years.  Most Coconut species live 60-80 years.  Banyan trees can live 400 years or more.

Many perennial herbaceous plants have a life expectancy of 25 years or more.  Some examples would be Hosta, Iris, Peony.

Thanking you,

Susan Tabor

Native Plants

Susan Tabor

I can answer questions about native North American Plants, with emphasis on the Southern US. I have studied native plants and their uses for over 30 years. I can identify from photos (sometimes just descriptions) trees, mushrooms, weeds, and most vascular flora. I actually use the things I gather, and I have some great recipes for wild foods. I frequently design landscapes using native plants. I discovered a new weed introduction in Iberville Parish, La.

30 years of study and application.

Horticulture - LSU Phytotherapy - D. Hoffman

LSU 1997 - new Emelia sp. entered in LSU botanical files.