Native Plants/Tendrils of climbing plants

Question
Hello!
If I were to tell someone that the tendrils of ivies and other climbing plants can grow as much as two feet a day, would I be erring on the fast side, the slow side or just about right? (Amazingly, the usual Googling, Wiki-ing & Ask.com-ing were fruitless!) Thanks in advance for your expertise! -J

Answer
Hi John,

Interesting question.  Kudzu is probably the fastest growing vine.  In summer in the southern US, it grows about 1 foot per day. It now covers about 70 million acres. Giant Kelp can beat that with 1.5 ft per day.  Bamboo tops them all - some species can grow 3 ft per day, and has been clocked at .0002MPH. This is definitely one grass species that you do not want to let grow under your feet. Because of its rapid growth rate, it was used as a method of torture/execution in ancient Asia; it will literally grow through a body staked over it.  Myth Busters did a show on it and proved that this is possible.  Another weird Bamboo fact is that it all blooms at the same time (at least in the genus phyllostachys) no matter where in the world it's growing or what the climate is doing. It promptly dies after blooming, but this only happens every 100 years or so.
Thanks,
Susan  

Native Plants

Susan Tabor