Naturopathy/Food Allergy

When I eat a granola bar or deserts, sometimes my heart speeds up and its like I feel it digesting? I have had a physical,EKG, blood Tests,and echo done. Everything is ine. What is this?

Hi Silvano,

Have you considered or been assessed for possible allergy to certain grains or nuts that may be present in the deserts and granola bars? For example wheat or gluten, or other tree nuts? It is very possible that your symptoms may be a reaction to these foods but you would need to spend some time with a knowledgeable health care practitioner or naturopathic doctor to determine if this is the case. Most NDs will do a food allergy panel which is a simple finger prick blood test to see which types of foods you may be sensitive or allergic to.

I need more information to better answer your question. Also are you on any medications?

You can try eliminating these foods from your diet for about 7-10 days, and then re-introducing one type of grain or nut for 4 days at a time to see if you develop symptoms again which will help to identify the offending food.

Hope that helps!
Dr. Faryal Luhar, ND
Naturopathic Doctor

Faryal Luhar

I am a Licensed Naturopathic Doctor practicing in Toronto, Canada. My practice is eclectic, although there is a special focus on women's health so any question related to this would be appropriate. I can also answer questions on detoxification, pain syndromes, gastrointestinal complaints, immune dysfunction and others.

I have been in practice for 8 years.

Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors

I graduated from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 2003. Prior to that I received my BA from the University of Western Ontario.