Naturopathy/Cayenne pepper

Question
I am attmepting to progressively cleanse the mucossal debris in my intestines by drinking several different concoctions based on plant ingrediants but just recently i found a method that includes some lemon water mixed with a tablspoon of cayenne pepper in the morning. I did this for four days i while i noticed results and still am regular, i remembered reading about how people have become bowel dependent on laxatives and i posed the question if cayenne pepper if overused will have the same effect. Ive stopped and surfed here and ther coming to the conclusion that cayenne pepper will not have too much of an effect or initiate dependency because it is natural and most accounts that described dependency were from chemical laxatives. Can you help me on my speculatioin, should i drink it once every morning or part my drinks a week or so?

Answer
Hello Jacob,
Natural laxatives can also lead to dependency, however cayenne is not really considered a herbal laxative and is unlike to cause dependence.  Whether you should drink it or not is another question.  Cayenne is usually not harmful in small amounts but a moderate dose consistently may lead to some concerns and may not be necessary, so I cannot say what might be an optimal dose for you.  In general, herbals can be safe but are not without risks.  
In health,
Dr Conner

Naturopathy

Kristina Conner, ND, MSOM