Naturopathy/Ginseng

Question
I am trying to better understand the differences between ginsengs and their properties, simply and in a nutshell.  I am a little confused.  It is my understanding that there are 3 kids of Ginseng.  American, Korean and Siberian.  I'd like to know what their other names are (for cross reference).  If I know that then I can probably look them up myself but I am totally confused about which is which and the botanical names, common names, chinese names, etc.  Can you assist me with the names of these herbs so I can cross reference them?  Thank you!

Answer
Hello Ray,
Yes, and to confuse things further, there are other "types of ginsengs", some are really in that family others not, although they act similarly they may not be related botanically.  So I would recommend you use the use the Latin names of botanicals since they are most reliable, for research or choosing products.  Panax quinquefolius is referred to as American ginseng or Xi Yang Shen in chinese, Panax ginseng is Korean or Chinese or red ginseng or Ren Shen in chinese and Eleuthrococcus senticosus is Siberian ginseng or Ci Wu Jia in chinese(actually not a ginseng at all, but with some similar effects).  They may all have several common names especially Korean ginseng, which is why it's hard to use the common names.  
Hope that helps
Dr Conner

Naturopathy

Kristina Conner, ND, MSOM