Naturopathy/Safety, Storage and Shelf Life

Question
Hello!

I am working on a recipe for a face and body scrub and would like to know if the combination is safe, if storing it in a blue glass bottle in a bathroom is safe, and how long the shelf life would be.

1 cup ground coffee beans
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup ground oatmeal
raw unfiltered honey
shea butter
jojoba oil

I want something I can keep for a month at least, if this recipe will not is there something I can add or omit to make it last? Do you have any suggestions for essential oils to make it smell better? I will appreciate any recommendations you have!

Thank you very much for your time!

Answer
It sounds safe, as long as the skin is intact, but to test for allergies it's always a good idea to do a skin patch test prior to using.  Keeping it sealed and in a dark area will prolong shelf life, the only ingredient that may go rancid quickly is the oats, but even with that you have at least a month.  Any essential oils would add scent, but the coffee might overpower any scent.  For choice of oils, it's entirely individual unless you want a specific effect, so go with whatever smells good to you.  

Naturopathy

Kristina Conner, ND, MSOM