Near Death Experiences / Afterlife Studies/death

is true that the nails and hair continue growing after a person die?

Hola Jesica,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts. You are my first questioner from Argentina. I teach dancing and admit that Argentine Tango is my and my partner's absolute favorite dance.

In answer to your question - No, hair and finger nails do not continue to grow after somatic [absolute, irreversible] death. After the main systems- the nervous,circulatory and respiratory- have shut down, the cells of the deceased begin to die. Depending on the type of cell, this process may take many hours.

The bio-processes that cause the growth of hair and nails are not in operation so they can no longer do their jobs. BUT if one gets really technical, the hair and nails give the ILLUSION that they have grown. This is not due to actual growth of the hair/nails but rather due to dehydration of the body. As cells die and dehydration takes place, the surrounding tissues shrink. It is this shrinkage that exposes more of the hair that was in the scalp and the nails that were under the skin. So neither has grown, only more of what was already there has been exposed due to the  natural decomposition of the body.

This idea has been glorified by folklore and myth, and of course by Zombie movies, but as you can see, there is no truth behind it. Still, I appreciate you asking it as many people are under the false belief that such an impossibility occurs. If you have any other questions, please write to me and I'll get an answer out to you.

Cuidate! Ciao,

Greg Pocha, All Experts, Near Death Experience / Afterlife Studies

Near Death Experiences / Afterlife Studies

Greg Pocha

RATED: TOP EXPERT in this Category.

Mr. Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg has intensively studied Thanatology [the study of death and dying], Near-Death Experience [NDE], Shared Death Experience [SDE] and After Death Studies including Life After Death/Life After Life and proposed this category to AllExperts to share his knowledge to the public in a compassionate and understanding manner. Greg specializes in Near Death, Shared Death and After-life Studies as well as Pre-death and Death Bed Experiences. Greg will make all attempts to help you with general information regarding your concerns or will make every effort to give you referrals. He will not answer questions that are related to religion or that are religious in nature.

• NOTE: This category is for the answering of questions pertaining to Death, Dying, Thanatology, Near Death Experiences, Shared Death Experiences, Death Bed Visions, Survival of Consciousness, Afterlife Study. For questions about the "paranormal" see below.

• Questions concerning Preternatural Phenomena, Ghosts, Hauntings or Paranormal Activity should be directed to the following AllExperts link: AllExperts: Paranormal Phenomena
  • Questions concerning Medical Conditions or Symptoms should be directed to a Doctor or qualified medical practitioner. AllExperts has such experts at the following link: AllExperts: Health and Fitness
  • Experience

During his studies in Parapsychology Greg decided to expand his education to include the sciences. He immediately developed a keen interest in not only the after life, but in the events that proceed it. Therefore he became knowledgeable in Thanatology, Death, the Dying Process as well as being extremely well versed in Afterlife Studies [Life After Death and the Survival of Consciousness], Near Death and Shared Death Experiences, Pre-Death Visions including Death Bed Visions/Experiences and all related subjects and theories including medical research and professional journal writings.

Greg is currently working toward a Diploma in Advanced Parapsychology. Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, he owns a private reference library, exceeding 900 books, dealing with his areas of interest. This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Volumes include works by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, MD., Robert Hatch, Sam Parnia, MD. Ph.D., Therese Rando, Ph.D., PMH Atwater, LHD., Raymond Moody, MD., Jeffery Long MD., Melvin Morse, MD., Craig Lundahl, Ph.D., Harold Widdison, Ph.D., Eben Alexander, MD., George Ritchie, MD., Maurice Rawlings, MD., et. al. Greg's on-going involvement in research and education is unending.