Back and Neck Injury/Back Belt

Question
Hi, I figured you'd probably know.  I've been having back pain recently and my doctor has me on muscle relaxors, but I also purchased a Mueller back support belt.  Well, I tried it on and I couldn't even breathe.  So I took it back and purchased an extra large one.  This one fits around my waist, but it goes from the top of my hips to the top of my rib cage.  Is this too big or is this how it's suppose to fit?  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Jessica,

I'm not sure exactly where you need the support or what you mean by top of the ribcage.

For a general pulled muscle in the lower back, the lumbar support should go up to the bottom of the ribcage. Unless the muscle problem is located in or extends to the mid/upper back, the support should not go up to the top of the ribcage - meaning around the bottom of the shoulder blades, as this would be a thoracolumbar support.

If it is imperative to have support regarding inflammatory resolution for a recent injury/flare-up, or an unstable condition requiring secure mechanical stabilization, you may want to get fitted with a higher quality belt. If it is mainly functioning as a reminder to help maintain posture or support temporary, minor weakness, you could try a different style of Mueller belt.

I hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein