Back and Neck Injury/neck pain

QUESTION: hi i am 27 years old.from.last 1 year i had neck pain below C7 and when i wake up in morning i had anaesthesia of inner two fingers of left hand which subside just after waking up..tell me
3.complication if it does not cure

ANSWER: Hi Jihn,

Neck pain below c7 would technically be the thoracic spine. C7 is the last cervical vertebra. Pain below c7 could be referred from the cervical spine or be related to the upper back or muscles that cross the 2 regions. The cervical nerve roots exiting below c7 would be c8 and that could cause parasthesias in the last 2 fingers (pinky and ring finger) and into that side of the hand and wrist area.

1) Not sure of the cause. It could be nerve related. It could be the position which you are sleeping. It could be vascular in nature.

So, I really can't expand upon #'s 2 and 3 either with the information given, although I do admire your ability to be very concise and to the point. I wish I could be more helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Steve

QUESTION: what is the treatment if is due to nerve compression

Hi Jihn,

That depends on what is causing the nerve compression. This can be from a soft disc problem or from a hard bone type of problem which narrows an opening that the nerve or spinal cord runs through. It is also possible that other things can cause nerve compression, so a thorough examination is important.

In general, assuming it is a nerve problem form a disc or bone narrowing, start with conservative measures like changing ergonomic factors including how you sleep. It is possible that some exercises can help effect postural factors. Traction may also be effective in alleviating nerve pressure from compression. Chiropractic adjustments may also help. If there is inflammation, certain medications may also help. Generally, 3 to 6 months of conservative treatment should be tried before considering an orthopedic consultation for possible surgical options, depending on symptoms and functional capacity.

But the most important thing is to have a proper history and examination to determine which additional tests might be indicated like x-rays, MRI or other testing to narrow down what the problem is and this would determine the best treatment options.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.