Back and Neck Injury/Abnormal Posture

Everything I have read about Somatics leads me to believe it is exactly what I need to correct my situation.  Unfortunately, when I do lesson 1 and 2 from Thomas Hanna's Somatics book,  my foot starts to go numb.  I believe I developed my strange posture from lifting weights incorrectly.  In the middle of my thoracic spine in between my scapulae' my spine curves anteriorly.  I have forward head and my shoulders are rounded.  I also have increased lordosis in my lumbar spine.  As a result of this posture I developed a buldging disc L5-S1.  I had a microdiscectomy.  But it didn't resolve my problems.  I was approved for a prosthetic disc sugery but felt without correcting my posture more problems would occur.  I feel as if the anterior curve between my scapulae is the source of all my problems.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thanks

Star Somatics
Star Somatics  

Hanna Somatic Education
Hanna Somatic Educatio  
Hi, Tim,

As you may guess, your foot goes numb from nerve compression at the spine, probably at L2/S1.

Do only Cat Stretch lesson 1 until you cease to get improvements of control and movement; then proceed to lesson 2 and do only lesson 2.

You may have tight "deep spinal" extensors.

Please add the movements shown at the following links to lesson 1.

If you have tight hamstrings, you'll need to do the somatic exercise for tight hamstrings:

Once you have done lesson 2 to completion, do this movement:

You may get The Cat Stretch Program in audio form here:

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration