Back and Neck Injury/back and neck pain

QUESTION: My husband a 58 yr old man fell down a hill 30yrs ago and go herniated discs in lower back.  He now has compressed discs in neck. Could neck be from the lower back?

Hanna Somatic Education
Hanna Somatic Educatio  
ANSWER: Hi, Donna,

Your husband is in Trauma Reflex.

These two entries of mine will explain much:

It's easy to resolve with the right approach.

Here's a start:

It's preparation for other movements to reduce the muscular strain that causes disc bulges.

QUESTION: Does herniated discs in lower back create trauma reflex of compressed discs in neck? I read about Trauma Reflex and I don't really see it.  Is that something that Doctors are aware of?

Trauma Reflex causes muscular reactions; if a violent injury (such as a fall) was involved, Trauma Reflex causes contractions related to (and protecting) the site of injury -- which causes pain and further Trauma Reflex.  With falls, Trauma Reflex may cause effects along the whole length of the spine and elsewhere.

Doctors are not commonly aware of Trauma Reflex as a cause of pathology.  Everyone in the world has experienced it, but not every has "put 2 + 2 together to equal 4".  

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration