Back and Neck Injury/Back injury

Question
I have had lower right side back pain for 3 months after landing stiff legged during a figure skating jump. Not to mention the many many falls I have had on my backside. The pain can be localized under two fingers and is directly right of my spine. I get severe pain when running, twisting, bending forward, and laying down. Doctor said xray was good besides possibly a slightly rotated L5. CT was fine so I asked about L5 and he said "what are you talking about" Any thoughts on my condition?

I am an 18 year old female. I have tried PT for 8 wks, Ice/Heat therapy, enzyme pforesis ice, chiropractic adjustments, rest.

The pain is most severe when I run, bend forward, twist, stand up, and lay down. Laying down at night is the worst. I feel as though I cannot relax my back muscles because of the severe pain I feel when that happens. I also feel right sided weakness.

Answer
Hi Brooke,

I have seen this quite frequently; ice hockey players, martial artists, bikers, soccer players... This is not to say that another condition does not exist, but a suggestion based on professional Chiropractic and personal experience in sports. It is often not as simple as it appears in a classical sense (basic, non-sports condition) however; when you have been involved in certain sports that use a lot of weight bearing and balancing hip flexor contraction, you tend to overdevelop some muscles. These muscles sometimes get small tears which develop scar tissue and wind up interfering with the muscle function and eventually producing pain. Because the muscles become strong around the damaged tissue, it requires very specific muscle testing and tactile abilities to properly discern and, if the case, treat properly.

Therefore, something you may consider is a psoas syndrome; which involves hip flexion muscles (usually 2 - psoas and iliacus muscles, together called the iliopsoas muscle) and the psoas connects the hip and the lumbar spine (low back). Therefore, there is a connection directly from the hip to each spinal bone of the lumbar spine. The first thing you can do is have a look at the muscles and get a little more familiar with the condition. My condition had no pain in the front of the thigh at the hip, I felt it as back pain and getting to the point where I could no longer be involved in martial arts - couldn't kick! So, I did not have the pain pattern of a typical psoas syndrome, as would most non-sports people would have.

So, please look at http://www.necksolutions.com/psoas-syndrome-back-pain.html and, if you think this may provide a solution or an area of interest, please have a look at a Physical Therapist or Chiropractor who is certified in Active Release Technique, and you can find one near your area at http://www.activerelease.com/providersearch.asp

Kind Regards,

Dr. Steve Ornstein

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein