Back and Neck Injury/Back Injury

Question
Here is my history:

I am an 18 yr old female figure skater, volleyball player and track athlete in high school, continuing on to college athletics next fall. About 3 months ago I was doing a jump when I opened up to soon stopping rotation and landing straight legged with my back absorbing all impact. Ever since then I have had very localized back pain. It did not affect my everyday activities though until track season began and I was doing sprinting workouts. My right side felt like it was going to give out, I had a severe pinch in the lower right back right next to the spine and I can point to it with one or two fingers. I had an xray and CT done and the Dr was not very helpful on either. He said slight rotation of the L5 on the xray and then when the CT was done he asked us where we ever heard I had a rotation of the L5 but changed his mind saying the CT showed I have a 5 degree hyperextension so kind of like I stick my belly out.

The physical therapist said I had a really severe pelvic rotation/misalignment but it was taken care of at PT yet my pain is the same. Bending forward it more painful than backwards, laying down is painful but laying down and relaxing my muscles is even worse. Sitting to standing is painful but before it was standing to sitting was more painful, they have since switched and I don't have pain when I sit.

I have done PT, Chiropractor, grastons technique, ice/heat, enzyme pforesis ice. The only thing I was suggested but didn't do was take ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory. I avoid all medications because I believe they are more harm than good in 99% of situations.

Thank you for reading this and for any advice you give me. It is really appreciated.

Answer
Hello Brooke,

Sorry to hear about your injury.  The good news is that I do believe I can offer you some effective techniques that will help you.

The short answer is that I'm going to send you to my completely free Do-It-Yourself-Joint-Pain-Relief website, http://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/
The website has free follow-along videos with joint pain relief techniques for every joint in the body, and I think you can probably fix yourself.

From the way your question is written I can tell you are intelligent, so I'll give you a bit more information if you don't mindů.

If you take a moment and think of all the muscles in your body like the rigging (ropes) on a big old-fashioned sailboat, you can begin to understand that all the tension in all the muscles must balance off each other for us to stand, sit, walk, run, etc. in the way our body is designed to do so. And because bones are basically chunks of calcium that are incapable of moving on their own, it is the muscles and soft-tissue that pull or hold muscles in place.  Thus, it is inappropriately tight soft-tissue that negatively affecting your body.

The vast majority of chronic structural pain in a body is caused by the shortening and tightening of tissue around joints.  In your case, the fall you had probably traumatized your pelvis and lower back a bit and now those areas (an probably others) need to be released for you to be out of pain. If you had torn tendons or ligaments, or fractured bones this would be a different matter, but the good news is that your scans show that you do not.

Okay, so I'm going to recommend that you first visit my Pelvic Girdle Pain Relief page,
http://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/pelvic-girdle-pain-relief.html
and follow along with the videos.  It may not do everything you need, but that video series alone may do the trick.

But then I do want you to go to the main Lower Back Pain Relief page and do the videos.  
http://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/lower-back-pain-relief.html
There will be some overlap from the pelvic pain page, but there will also be other techniques.

Notice where you are tight and get those areas free, and there is a very good chance you will be pain free.  If the pain returns you'll then know what to do to get yourself out of pain.

You can contact me through my website.  I'm in San Deigo, CA with a full practice, so I'll respond as soon as I reasonably can.

All the best,

Gary Crowley

Back and Neck Injury

Gary Crowley