Back and Neck Injury/Hello

Question
Hi
I wake up with this dull pain kinda sore ( it's in the middle right side back ) yesterday I went to hot tub I also yesterday felt sore on both side just this morning I had this discomfort when I try to stretch like if I turn clock wise I can feel like its stuck and i feel hurt scale 1 to 10 I would say 6 I'm thinking muscle strain plus I'm due to my period so maybe it related , I haven't really been doing any lifting or anything just woke up with this discomfort
I'm not sure if its my liver or my kidney cause the pain feels like a muscle thing plus I had my kidney and my liver checked on top of that's I do not drink
I applied cream icy hot and took 2 Tylonol I'm thinking to put one those patches?
Your thoughts?
Thank you

Answer
Hi Samia,

Could have been the muscle warmed up in the hot tub and a relatively minor contraction or sleeping in a twisted position may have caused a strain of the muscle. A strain of the quadratus muscle is common and will be aggravated by twisting. If possible, you might consider taking something like Ibuprofen and applying an ice pack to the area to help with any inflammation. For now, I would stay out of the hot tub for a few days. You can use topicals like the icy hot and a pain patch if it helps. Also, you should sleep with a pillow between your legs on the side to help prevent twisting and you can use a pillow under your knees when lying on your back to relax the muscle. Hopefully, it is just a minor strain and should respond with these simple measures. If it does not improve in a few days, or if the pain gets worse, see a doctor.

All the best!

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein