Back and Neck Injury/Back Injury

Dr. Ornstein,

About 2 1/2 years ago I fractured a rib at the T6 level in my back that was literally about the width of a pinky nail away from my spine.  I have been dealing with constant low back pain and extreme back pain in the area where I fractured my rib when I begin to do heavy labor.  I was sent for all kinds of treatment....chiropractor, acupuncture, massage therapy, phyiscal therapy, and electric stimulation all of which provided no relief.

I was referred to another doctor who reviewed my X-rays and where the fracture occured he showed me how it curved a little at the point where it fractured.  He had stated that this alone would be something that could drigger my back pain in my mid back, but had no answers for me as to why my low back was hurting at the same time.

Now is their anything that I can do about the abnormal healing of my old fractured rib because of the way that it healed or is this going to continue to cause me pain for the rest of my life?

Hi Mark,

We have discussed this and I was under the assumption you were waiting to hear from the doctor who found the improperly healed fracture regarding any options. If the pain is from the fracture, you may need to consult with an orthopedic surgeon to see if it might be amenable to any surgical procedure or possible injections, if it is not going to respond to conservative therapeutic measures.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Steve  

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.