Back and Neck Injury/Lower back MRI

I injured my lower back in 2010 have an MRI done 4 months after with findings of 5mm herniation at L3-4 level with left lateral femoral stenosis and a 4mm potrusion at L4-5 with moderate far left lateral foraminal stenosis for which I have had 12 session of physical therapy,also machine to stemulate muscles ,3 facet injection and have been taking meds like dilated,nucynta,lyrica many others for pain .had a discogram done which had minimal findings doctor basicly said it's not my disc causing my pain. 2012 I had second MRI done which findings where unremarkable or insinificant.My question is why the different findings in the MRI'S do disc herniation and potrusion fix on their own and if so why do I still have this pain.

Hi, Olivia,

I've answered these questions in the following entries:

See these pages:

It's fairly important that you bring your back tension under control; it's what caused the disc herniations, causes the pain (from muscle fatigue) and does not get corrected by drugs, electrical stimulation, or manipulation.  Herniation and protrusion do not fix on their own because caused by that back tension.

Electrical muscle stimulation is of little value because it does nothing to improve control of your own muscles, the core problem.  You need another approach, detailed in my writings.

If the pain comes and goes or varies, stenosis is not the cause, as the foramena (holes through which nerves exit the spine) don't open and close; the pain is almost certainly of muscular origin.  

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration