Back and Neck Injury/Back pain

To start off, I am a chaimber maid at a hotel. I had 3 weeks off for the holidays. In my days off I was helping my fiancÚ do renovations to our living room. I went back to work yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and it was a full hotel. I felt it once I got home, very tired. I went and laid down for a bit and when I woke up I started feeling achy all over along with slight chills but with a low grade fever of 37.5. After supper I started feeling very sore/sharp pain in my mid to lower back/side on the left side. So I automatically thought it was a kidney infection, but found it weird considering I didn't have any symptoms except a very sore back/side. But to make sure I went to the hospital. The doctor checked my urine and there was no sigh of a UTI or kidney infection. He took my temp and it was 37.5 still. So he told me I could have hurt it at work, and to make a chiropractor appt. And as for my fever he said I may be coming down with the flu that's been going around, THAT I just finished having over Christmas :( . So he sent me home. I got home and took some advil cause I had constant chills and obviously I was very sore. I went to bed and woke up around 3am to being very cold/having the chills even thou we had the heater on in our room. So I took some advil. Took about an hour or more until the chills stopped and I could sleep again. I woke up this morning sweaty, exhausted and sore/achy. I have no symptoms of having the flu except the chills and possible aches. No sore throat ect. I took some more advil when I woke up and went back to bed. I woke up again feeling pretty sore on my left side, and got really bad chills again, but I checked my temp and it was normal 36.4. So I went downstairs to where our wood stove is and tried to warm up. That didn't help so I walked slowly upstairs to grab more advil. Once those kicked in and took my chills/pain away ish, I just went and sat on the couch and relaxed. I am so confused as to why I am so sore and getting the chills. I would have thought I had an infection or something but like I say they checked my urine and it had nothing. I don't really have an appetite either, don't know if its from the pain or what. I was just wondering if you can give me some answers so I no longer think I'm dying ha ha ha.

(and I have chiropractor apt tomorrow (Thursday)

Hi Megan,

OK, lets get this out of the way. Whenever there is back pain with fever, there are some conditions that should be considered. None may apply, but it should be kept in mind. So; Kidney Stones, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), Gallstones, Pancreatitis, West Nile Virus Infection (West Nile Fever), Typhus, Yellow fever and Polio. Nasty stuff, but it must be said. Hopefully your chiropractor will find something that can explain your pain. There are conditions where there is inflammation, like a sprain, strain, disc herniation or possible arthritis related to autoimmunity and this can produce inflammation which your body can react in this manner. If you have been on antibiotics, it could be a reaction to medications.

So, lets see what the Chiropractor says and there are some other things to consider should the chiropractor not find anything.

I hope you feel better.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.