Back and Neck Injury/severe neck and back pain

About ten years ago I was in a car accident that left me with three fractures in my neck. This past August fractured a bone in my back. Since then I have been in constant pain. The pain initially started where the recent injury occurred.  Over the last few months I began having tingling in both hands and feet. Recently I have had pain in my neck on both sides and pain from my left elbow to my wrist. I guess my question is what should I do? My doctor gives me these pain meds that work for a short while and I have yet to find permant relief. Advise please.

Hi, Lynn,

Injuries trigger muscular contractions (see; injuries to the neck trigger contractions in the neck.  See

Contractions in the neck cause nerve impingement (pinch), which cause symptoms such as those you described.

The articles explain the condition and tell what you can do for permanent relief.

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration