Back and Neck Injury/balance and gait

I am a 61 year old man who has problems with my neck muscles
It feels as though my neck muscles are actually closing my ear canals and causing ringing and electrical buzzing as well as affecting my gait,I have also experienced the muscles pulling on the cartilage of my ear and also affecting my jaw
When walking i get a quick buzzing dizzy unbalanced sensation and my ears fill up or block my neck muscles tighten so bad that my neck feels like it has an iron rod inserted up the spine into occipital area ,it makes me stop in my track and realign or adjust my balance, i have no lung problems
I also notice when i rub near my sternacleidamastoids i get really dizzy and feel like  i am swaying, Lately i have a very sore left small toe at tarsal area and i cling with my toes to the ground to keep my balance
Hope i can get some answers from you mate as i am at wits end
Regards Cardy

Hi Cardy,

The way to approach this would be to make sure there are no cardiovascular problems through your primary doctor and then get cleared with an ear, nose and throat doctor. Having ruled out any significant problems, it sounds like it could be related to your neck.

There is something called a "sternocleidomastoid syndrome" and this, along with the condition of your neck related to other muscles and joints, should be something to consider. A chiropractor might be a good place to have this condition treated.

Adjustments to the cervical spine along with addressing any trigger points in the muscle to start should make a noticeable difference in a few visits. The treatment usually progresses with stretching techniques, postural and balance training, along with addressing areas that need specific exercises for strengthening. This should be tailored to your specific needs, so a chiropractor - physical therapist approach is usually best.

I hope this helps and you get relief soon.

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.