Back and Neck Injury/Collapse from back pain

Dr. Ornstein,
Thank you for your time and help.   I had a back injury about 5 years ago.  I burst  L1 and L2.  It required extensive surgery and a long recovery.
Now I am working with preschoolers and it is very physically demanding.  My lower back hurts so bad, I'm struggling to walk.  Every time I take a few steps my back goes into spasm often causing me to collapse.  My legs ache a lot and I'm getting sharp pains in them.  My buttocks feels like a combo of numb and deep aching.  Mostly the pain goes down the sides of my thighs.  Tingling as well.
Do you have any ideas what might be going on?  I can't have an MRI, due to pacemaker.  I also have significant osteoporosis.  I'm 45.
Thank you so very much for your thoughts.

Hi Christine,

I'm sorry to hear about this. You do have a very demanding job and I'm not sure how you are doing it. With your condition, keeping stress off the back is a must. Standard x-rays will show any type of osteoporotic fracturing, which has to be suspect and ruled out. A CT scan should be done if the x-rays are negative.

So, I would not hesitate to take some time off and get diagnosed. Hopefully you are able to take medication and or supplements for the osteoporosis. Exercise - non weight bearing and within cardiovascular limits. I would have a good recliner. There are ones that are electrically controlled to help with proper angling easing stress of getting in and out. But these are symptoms that require attention. I know how much skill and dedication is involved in working with preschoolers. You must find a way to modify this. Your condition puts you at risk for vertebral fractures. We could go on about structures and related symptoms, but x-rays should be done asap and CT can give the best clues if needed.

You give so much, please take care of yourself.

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.