Back and Neck Injury/lumbar bulge

Question
MRI
MRI  
Dear DR.Steve, I am Rasha mother of two kids 33 years old, height 5'5. weight 132 lb , i exercise every day .while I was doing MRI for pelvic pain, the doctor told me that i have L4-L5 diffuse disk bulge, I don't have any symptoms. My question is what caused that situation? is there any thing that I can do to avoid worsening the situation? Can i keep exercising cause i do cardio, low to medium weight strength exercise including back extension and yoga? I can't imagine my life without these exercise..thanks a lot and i am sorry to bother you ..

Answer
Hi Rasha,

These findings are often found when looking for something else. As we age, it is normal to find changes like these. This is just an incidental finding. Without symptoms, there is no indication that the disc bulge is a problem. I would continue with your exercise and yoga without concern. The disc bulge is just a descriptive finding and not a diagnosis. General care about back pain is fine. Research shows exercise and yoga is good for back pain. So, cardio and yoga is good. I would try to be careful lifting weights as this can put pressure on the discs and joints, especially when straining. Low weight and high repetition would be better than high weight and low repetition. Do not do any heavy lifting early in the morning, give your back a chance to warm up.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Dr. Steve
www.necksolutions.com

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein