Back and Neck Injury/Chronic upper back pain

Hello. I have been experiencing upper and mid back pain for over a year.  For a while i did not have insurance so I didnt see a Dr. However mow I do amd will make an appointment. What could it be? I have no known injuries to the back or other areas. I had a bowel perforation last year but had surgery. I have tried aleve, Tylenol, Bengay, heat, and ibuprofen but nothing helps.

Hello, Carly,

Without seeing you and going by what you've written, I think your back pain is muscle fatigue, a consequence of the surgery you had for bowel perforation and from the pain of the perforation, itself.

Your belly muscles tightened up from the pain and from the wound inflicted by surgery.  I explain why this happens in my write-up on recovery from injury:

That tightening pulls you into a forward curve that your back muscles must counterbalance for you to stand or sit upright.  The consequence:  muscle fatigue.

Ask, and I'll make a suggestion for correcting this condition (provided my analysis fits your experience).  You can do it by yourself.  

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration