Back and Neck Injury/Lumbarization of S1

I recently had an MRI done. I am a  63 year old healthy female. I can not sit, the MRI showed Dural ectasia of the subarachnoid sac. Partial lumbarization of S1. Congenital anomanly of S1 with significant Dural ectasia of the subarachnoid sac extending from L4-S1. Can anything be done for this? I am in so much pain when I sit for longer then 20 - 30 min.

Hello, Virginia,

I would check for lumbar compression, usually due to very tight lumbar spinal muscles.  When tissue shortens, it thickens, as with the subarachnoid sac.  When tissue shortens, as with lumbar compression, it thickens, as with the dural sac.

If that's the case, the approach would be as shown on this page:

What "congenital anomaly" means is that the condition is not new to you, so if the pain is new, it's probably not from that.

Do the reading and get back to me.  

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration