Back and Neck Injury/Short pain in head

Hi Dr Gold!

I have had since wednesday a weird pain in my head. It's not a headache. It's short (1 second) flashes of pain that comes 5-7 times a day, like a quick stab with a pen or something on different places on the left side of my head. I have a very stiff neck due to many hours in front of a computer in my work.

First I thought it could be the sign of a brain tumor but when I read about that it seem to be more persistent headaches then, and I don't have any other symptoms, I feel fine otherwise. This is like I said not really headaches. Could it be muscular/nerves you think?

Should I try massage or something?

Hi, Fred,

It could be neuromuscular -- and I advise consulting with a medical doctor to rule out anything ominous.

Please see these entries on neck conditions, which it is what it would be if neuromuscular:,1.htm

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration