Back and Neck Injury/Pain in the Neck and Shoulder

Hello Mr Gold, I'd like to know if the neck and shoulder can benefit from another form of therapy other than massage and trigger point therapy as I have a terrible problem with my left shoulder and the neck on that side also. Years ago I had a frozen shoulder and I also had either a tendon or a ligament tear so with massage it has slowly gotten better but whenever I am stressed the pain is so incredible it results in me getting a migraine or a migraine with aura. I would really appreciate any help as the pain has been terrible. I've been able to deal with a lot of pain but just as soon as my muscles are relaxed something happens and my neck and shoulder are tightened and paining badly once again. I've had Ulna nerve pain before which was excruciating but I did not go to hospital or take strong pain killers which was recommended. I was very active as a child and adult, I'm a 60 year old female. Is there something else I can try please? I would appreciate any recommendation you can give me. Thank you for your kind assistance.
Kind Regards

Hello, Karen.

The answer is, yes.  There is something much better than massage or trigger point therapy.

I'm giving you links to relevant entries.

the approach |
on headaches |
on recovery from injuries|
(why muscles tighten up, again and how to prevent them from doing so)

To give specific recommendations, I need specific information.

If you'd like to work with me, please respond to and I'll carry things forward.  

Back and Neck Injury

Lawrence Gold

Questions concerning: back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- back muscle spasms -|- "My back went out." -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises for back pain -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. Success rate: approx. 95%+

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences.

More complete listing of publications at

Certifications (partial list): Hanna Somatic Education Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration