Back and Neck Injury/After Surgery

Question
MRI
MRI  
Hello,

I had an surgery this summer (August 2014), they cut a hernia of backbone L5-S1 (1.1cm). Also I have a protrusion L4/5 0.3cm

And after this started to pain all other backbone from neck and down.

Some doctors says that it's okay. But it very annoy sometimes. I would like to know what to do...
And also, how mauch weight I can take and when?

Thank you!
And sorry for my English( Im from Russia.

Answer
Hi Ilya,

I wish my Russian was as good as your English.

The MRI picture is too small to see any details. These are questions that the surgeon or therapist should be able to answer.

If you had removal of the herniated disc at L5-S1, there is always extra pressure put on the disc above at L4-L5. Sometimes, the inflammation can go up the spine and aggravate other areas. Also, your spine must get used to new biomechanics. As changes happen in one area of the spine, it can have an effect on other areas.

You must be very careful when lifting. I would say no more than 25 pounds. You must learn to use you legs and bend at hips. You should not strain. Straining, like holding your breath because something is heavy to lift or push, can cause much pressure in the spine and cause a protrusion to herniate.

You should be doing rehabilitation therapy and this would determine how much you can lift, how your progress is and how you are healing. They should teach you correct mechanics when lifting. Your doctor should be able to prescribe medication to help control pain and inflammation. You will need to be patient as this can take some time to heal.

I hope this helps and you are able to understand. I wish you much success in your recovery and hope you will feel better very soon.

Dr. Steve
www.necksolutions.com

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein