Back and Neck Injury/Back pain

I work for hours daily on my computer but after 30 minutes of working I feel my back hurts.What should I do to prevent this pain?

Hi Tim,

This is a common, growing problem and there is a lot you can do to help.

First, you must set up your work station ergonomically, so it is not stressing your spine. You will find details and a picture that illustrates this. Pay attention to back posture and hip angle.

Second, because of the pressure in the discs, you must take short breaks, get up for 15 to 20 seconds and do a bit of stretching. Just stand up and arch backward, as long as there is no pain, this will help prevent any migrating of the discs. Go down to the pictures; I do "C" with my hands up. I do 2 sets of 15 repetitions. Go back, easy at first, hold briefly, then straight. This helps to reverse pressure from sitting in a slumped position that can hurt the discs. By doing short repetitions, it helps the discs and also the abdominal muscles which weaken with sitting. Breathe in going back and out straightening.

So, ergonomics, then short micro-breaks with stretching.

You can choose some of these things and I'm sure it will make a difference. Everyone is different, so experiment with which ones will benefit you the most. If you have further specific questions, please contact me and I'll be glad to help.

All the best!

Dr. Steve  

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.