Back and Neck Injury/neck issue

I had cervical surgery in October 2010 and a metal implant put in at c5-7 (I think). Two weeks ago I started experiences what I thought was a stiff neck radiating into my traps. I am a 64 year old female with osteoporsis. I now have a "clicking" sound when I turn my neck and at the base of the neck you can feel the two vertabraes. Should I be concerned about this clicking? Most of the stiff neck is gone, only a little tenderness remains. I don't want to run to the doctor if it is nothing to worry about. Thanking you in advance

Hi Virginia,

As long as the stiff neck is better, the clicking can be things shifting a little and is generally temporary and nothing to worry about. This can happen with neck stiffness for a variety of reasons, most commonly postural issues. Around the base of the skull is where the bones are most prominent, so they are easily felt and this is normal. If you are not experiencing any headaches or dizziness, you should be fine. Of course, should it continue, or if any new symptoms appear, you should check with your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. Steve

Back and Neck Injury

Dr. Steve Ornstein

I can answer questions regarding neck and back pain treatment and general musculoskeletal conditions. Acute, chronic and degenerative conditions using various methods; exercise, rehabilitation, traction. Pain relief methods and professional quality products via website at which can be used at home.

Graduated Chiropractic College in 1987, working in numerous clinics within two states using a variety of manual and physiological therapies. Involved in martial arts for 20 years.

Chiropractor Sherman College, Certified in Physiological Therapeutics from National Chiropractic College, Certified Peer Review Consultant from New York Chiropractic College, Studied with Dr. Cox using Flexion Distraction Technique, Studied with Dr. Leahy using Active Release Technique. Myofascial Release with Dr. Rockwell - Parker Chiropractic College. Certified in Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy.