Needlepoint/framed needlepoint

Two framed needlepoints got wet in a basement flood. What might be done to restore them? Or where can I bring them in the Chicagoland area?

Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear about that.  First thing would be to dry out the canvases.  Remove them from the frames, as the matting or any backing is going to be replaced anyway.  Just let them air dry; maybe let them spend a bit of time in the sun to help kill mold and mildew.

You will more than likely want them professionally cleaned and blocked.  I do not know of anyone specific in the Chicago area, but search online for needlepoint shops in your area.  They will be able refer you to someone local.

Hope this helps,

Henry Babcock

I learned needlepoint, knitting, sewing, etc. from my grandmother over 35 years ago. I can answer most questions on the subject of needlepoint. I know about producing needlepoint as well as cleaning, repairing and restoring.

Tip Jar

If you are looking for an appraisal of a needlepoint piece, please contact The American Needlepoint Guild:

I do NOT make referrals to specific service providers, please don't ask.

Almost 40 years using needle and canvas.

AS Marine Diving Technologies, SBCC 1998
BA Environmental Studies, UCSB 1993