Needlepoint/framed needlepoint

Question
Two framed needlepoints got wet in a basement flood. What might be done to restore them? Or where can I bring them in the Chicagoland area?
Thanks!

Answer
Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear about that.  First thing would be to dry out the canvases.  Remove them from the frames, as the matting or any backing is going to be replaced anyway.  Just let them air dry; maybe let them spend a bit of time in the sun to help kill mold and mildew.

You will more than likely want them professionally cleaned and blocked.  I do not know of anyone specific in the Chicago area, but search online for needlepoint shops in your area.  They will be able refer you to someone local.

Hope this helps,

Needlepoint

Henry Babcock