Needlepoint/needlepoint belt

Question
My son has a needlepoint belt that was made for him that is now too small but still in very good shape. Is it possible to make it bigger either with longer leather pieces or in some way attaching more canvas? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Answer
Hi Cee,

Without major reconstruction, you won't be able to add any length to the canvas (might as well stitch a new canvas for that amount of work).  You may be able remove the canvas from the leather and have it attached to a larger backing with longer tabs, but that would limit the amount of canvas seen from the front.  One last idea would be to have the canvas removed, cut and half, then have a new belt assembled with a leather area in the center of the rear, between the two halves of the needlepoint piece.  (I hope that makes sense...)

Either way, there will be a considerable cost.  Given that, it might make sense to have another belt made for not much more cost.  There are several companies that are selling needlepoint belts now, and a few of them have custom options.  You would have to contact them directly, but I think their custom belts come in under $200.

Needlepoint

Henry Babcock