Needlepoint/Needlepoint or cross stitch

Henry, my question is: This looks like a needlepoint to me from 1947. Can you verify it is a needlepoint and value ? Thank you.

Hi Joseph,

I can't tell from the image if that is a needlepoint, it's just not enough detail.  Samplers often come in cross stitch as well, but the difference is obvious. Needlepoint is made in diagonal stitches that completely cover the canvas; cross stitch is made in x shaped stitches ("cross stitch") with parts of the canvas showing through. I've attached a link with close-up images of needlepoint stitching.  If the stitching on your piece matches the "tent" stitches, then it's needlepoint.

As for the value, that's really outside my expertise.  You could try contacting The American Needlepoint Guild to see if they can refer you to a qualified appraiser:

Henry Babcock

I learned needlepoint, knitting, sewing, etc. from my grandmother over 35 years ago. I can answer most questions on the subject of needlepoint. I know about producing needlepoint as well as cleaning, repairing and restoring.

Tip Jar

If you are looking for an appraisal of a needlepoint piece, please contact The American Needlepoint Guild:

I do NOT make referrals to specific service providers, please don't ask.

Almost 40 years using needle and canvas.

AS Marine Diving Technologies, SBCC 1998
BA Environmental Studies, UCSB 1993